Minnesota native Bill Mahre was a long-time safety advocate in the propane industry, serving as a mentor, educator and safety leader to many. He served in many capacities of the industry during a 65-year career, which started at St. Paul Bottle Gas Co. (Home Gas). He also volunteered his time and expertise to the National Propane Gas Association: Propane (NPGA), the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and the Minnesota Propane Association (MPA).
He served on and chaired the NPGA Safety Committee. He was also a long-time member of the NPGA Technology, Standards and Safety Committee and an NPGA liaison member of the NFPA 58 Committee.
As owner of Propane Technical Services, Mahre investigated propane accidents, served as an expert witness in legal cases, provided consulting services on propane equipment installations and instructed industry employees on various issues. He was also affiliated with the International Association of Arson Investigators.
Mahre won several presidents recognition and distinguished service awards during his career. He was awarded lifetime membership into the MPA for his selfless giving to the industry in Minnesota and nationally.
Mahre died in 2015 at the age of 80.